Sao Tome & Principe: Africa’s Galapagos
July 6-16, 2019
Guided by: Dr. Ryan & Liza Snider
US$ 4,290 per person sharing (international airfare not included)
Floating off Africa’s west coast, this two-island nation is often referred to as ‘Africa’s Galapagos’ due to its lush jungle canopies, primordial rock spires, secluded beaches, and unique species of wildlife.
July 6,7: Flight to Sao Tome
Your international flight takes you to Sao Tome International Airport (TMS), arriving July 7th. Upon arrival, Ryan and Liza will welcome you with champagne and cold face towels, before driving you to the nearby Omali Lodge.
July 8: Sao Tome Island
After breakfast, embark on a dramatic drive through this relatively unvisited island, visiting a coffee plantation in the morning, before enjoying a delicious lunch overlooking the ocean. In the afternoon, visit the Boca do Inferno – a natural blowhole that spews salty sea water high into the air, before returning to the beautiful Omali Lodge for dinner and the night.
July 9, 10: Principe Island
Transfer to the Sao Tome airport for your short flight (included) to the green and lush Principe Island airstrip. The next two days will be spent exploring the southern portion of this incredible island, hiking to the rarely visited Oque Pipi waterfall, and spending time with a local community group that collects shards of glass and turns them into beautiful jewelry. These two nights will be spent at the historic Roça Sundy Colonial House.
July 11,12,13,14: Principe Sundy Praia
For the highlight of the tour, we will drive to the northern coast of Principe Island and enjoy the next four days exploring the beautiful island by jeep, interacting with local residents, bird watching in lush jungles, boat cruising to Needles Bay, picnicking on remote beaches, and swimming / snorkelling / paddle-boarding as we wish. Our four nights will be spent at the ecotourism award winning Sundy Praia Lodge, with a very special dinner out on the beach!
July 15,16: Sao Tome Departure Flight
After one last walk on the beach, transfer to the Principe airstrip for our short flight (included) back to our Sao Tome day room at the Omali Lodge for a chance to swim, shower, and share a final dinner together. Transfer to the Sao Tome (TMS) airport for our flight home (arriving on July 16th), with memories of an incredibly unique adventure to Africa’s Galapagos!
Included for this safari:
- All en-suite accommodations (based on double occupancy) and all meals as per the itinerary.
- Exclusive island transport in air conditioned 4x4's.
- Services of exceptional English-speaking guides, knowledgeable of the local region and culture.
- Long-range radio communication (and access to mobile phone) for the duration of the trip.
- Complimentary bottled drinking water.
- Daily safari briefings.
- All park entry fees, conservation fees, entrance fees, airport transfers, and departure taxes.
- Guided safari walks, school/orphanage visits, and cultural excursions as per the itinerary.
- Leadership in ethical, socially responsible practices.
- Two domestic chartered flights (July 9th and July 15th) as mentioned in the itinerary.
- A day room on July 15.
- Complete pre-departure information including packing lists, trip itinerary, and flight details.
- International airfare.
- Travel/medical/cancellation/interruption insurance.
- Single Supplement (if you would like your own room).
- Passport fees, inoculations, and Tourist Entry Visa.
- Gratuities for drivers and any optional excursions.
- Souvenirs, soft drinks, bar beverages, laundry, email, phone, and items of a personal nature.