Sao Tome & Principe: Africa’s Galapagos
June 30 - July 10, 2023 | US$ 4,690 per person (international airfare not included)
US$ 4,690 per person (international airfare not included)
Floating off Africa’s west coast, this two-island nation is often referred to as ‘Africa’s Galapagos’ due to its lush jungle canopies, primordial rock spires, secluded beaches, and unique species of wildlife.
June 30, July 1, 2: Fly to Portugal & Sao Tome
Your international flight takes you to Lisbon, Portugal, where you change planes and board your flight (July 1 at 11:25am) to Sao Tome International Airport (TMS). Upon arrival in Sao Tome (July 1 at 5:00pm), our guides will welcome us with champagne and cold face towels, before driving us to the nearby Omali Lodge for the next two nights.
On July 2, we will embark on a dramatic drive through this relatively unvisited island, visiting a coffee plantation in the morning, before enjoying a delicious lunch. In the afternoon, we will visit the Boca do Inferno – a natural blowhole that spews salty sea water high into the air, before returning to our beautiful lodge for dinner.
July 3, 4, 5: Flight to Principe Island
Transfer to the Sao Tome airport for your 9:00am flight (included) to the green and lush Principe Island airstrip. The next three days will be spent exploring the southern portion of this incredible island, hiking to the rarely visited Oque Pipi waterfall, and spending time with a local community group that collects shards of glass and turns them into beautiful jewelry. These three nights will be spent at the historic Roça Sundy Colonial House.
July 6, 7, 8: Principe Sundy Praia
For the highlight of the tour, we will drive to the northern coast of Principe Island and enjoy the next three days exploring the beautiful island by jeep, interacting with local residents, bird watching in lush jungles, boat cruising to Needles Bay, picnicking on remote beaches, enjoying a chocolate/cocoa tour, and swimming / snorkelling / paddle-boarding as we wish. Our three nights will be spent at the ecotourism award winning Sundy Praia Lodge, with a very special dinner out on the beach!
July 9, 10: Flight from Principe to Sao Tome, and Departure
After breakfast by the ocean, transfer to the Principe airport for your 10:20am flight back to Sao Tome. Upon arrival at 11:00am, explore the island a little more with an authentic lunch, and having the opportunity to spend some time souvenir shopping in the colourful and lively local market. Share an early dinner together, and then transferring to the Sao Tome (TMS) airport in time for our 8:40pm flight back to Lisbon. Transfer planes, and board your flight back home (arriving on July 10th), with memories of an incredibly unique adventure to Africa’s Galapagos!
Included for this safari:
- All ensuite accommodations (based on double occupancy)
- Breakfast/lunch/dinner each day; House drinks at Roca Sundy and Sundy Praia.
- Exclusive island transport in air-conditioned 4×4’s.
- Services of exceptional English-speaking guides, knowledgeable of the local region and culture.
- Long-range radio communication (and access to mobile phone) for the duration of the trip.
- Complimentary bottled drinking water.
- All park entry fees, conservation fees, entrance fees, airport transfers, and departure taxes.
- Guided walks, school/orphanage visits, and cultural excursions as per the itinerary.
- Leadership in ethical, socially responsible practices.
- Two domestic chartered flights (July 3 and July 9) as mentioned in the itinerary.
- Complete pre-departure info booklet (packing lists, trip itinerary, and flight details).
- International airfare.
- Travel/medical/cancellation/interruption insurance.
- Single Supplement (if you would like your own room).
- Passport fees, inoculations, and Tourist Entry Visa.
- Gratuities for drivers and any optional excursions.
- Souvenirs, soft drinks, bar beverages, laundry, email, phone, and items of a personal nature.