Kenya: The Art Safari
February 1-11, 2019
US$ 4,290 per person sharing (international airfare not included)
US$ 260 optional art supply kit (ie. portable easel, paper, watercolours, brushes, etc....)
Join Ralf Wall (Raflar) on this incredible journey to Kenya, illustrating the people, wildlife, and landscapes, in a variety of mediums including sketching and watercolour paint.
February 1,2: Flight to Nairobi, Kenya
Your international flight takes you to Nairobi, Kenya (arriving February 2). Upon arrival, Ralf will welcome you with champagne and cold face towels, before driving you to the nearby Eka Hotel.
February 3,4: Amboseli and Mount Kilimanjaro
After breakfast by the pool, embark on a dramatic drive to Amboseli National Park, located in the shadows of majestic Mount Kilimanjaro. Africa’s tallest mountain is a stunning backdrop to the unusually large herds of elephant that roam freely on its foothills. After sketching and painting the resident wildlife, return to the remarkable eco-award winning Ol Tukai Safari Lodge.
February 5,6: Lake Naivasha
Drive back to Nairobi for an outdoor lunch in a beautiful garden, before ascending the beautiful Great Rift Valley escarpment on your way to Lake Naivasha. Stop at the top of the Rift Valley, assemble your easel, and spend some time painting this incredible view. Spend the next two nights at the award-winning Naivasha Sopa Lodge, and watch giraffe graze from your verandah! Enjoy a boat cruise amongst the hippos, followed by a walking safari on the island where much of ‘Out of Africa’ was filmed, where you will be tutored by Ralf while standing on the hill and painting the spectacular scene in front of you, learning how to interpret the scene to best utilize your art mediums.
February 7,8,9: Maasai Mara National Reserve
Drive through the Great Rift Valley to the world famous Maasai Mara National Reserve where you will enjoy exciting game drives providing you with the chance to sketch and paint the full range of African wildlife (eg. lions, leopards, elephant, cheetah, giraffe, buffalo, hippos, etc). Some of your painting will be done under a huge shade tree at the lodge, while other times you’ll be standing behind your easel on the open savannah, painting the herds and landscapes in front of you. When not painting, we will have the opportunity to visit a local elementary school where will provide each student with some supplies and encourage them to sketch and paint their environment the way they see it. Spend three nights at the beautifully appointed Ashnil Mara Tented Camp in deluxe tents with en-suite bathrooms and hot showers.
February 10,11: Nairobi Departure Flight
After one last wildlife drive, board your charter flight (included) back to your Nairobi day room near the international airport for a chance to swim, shower, and share a final dinner together. Transfer to the airport for your flight home (arriving on February 11), with memories of a unique adventure that will last a lifetime!
Included for this safari:
- En-suite accommodations (based on double occupancy) and all meals as per the itinerary.
- Exclusive transport in 4x4 Landcruisers with 'pop-up' roof and guaranteed window seat.
- Services of exceptional English-speaking guides, knowledgeable of the local region and culture.
- Long-range radio communication (and access to mobile phone) for the duration of the trip.
- Complimentary bottled drinking water.
- Daily safari briefings and art guidance by Ralf Wall.
- All park entry fees, conservation fees, entrance fees, airport transfers, and departure taxes.
- Guided safari walks, school/orphanage visits, and cultural excursions as per the itinerary.
- Leadership in ethical, socially responsible practices.
- A domestic chartered flight (February 10th) as mentioned in the itinerary.
- A day room on February 10th.
- Complete pre-departure information including packing lists, trip itinerary, and flight details.
- International airfare.
- Travel/medical/cancellation/interruption insurance.
- Art supply kit from Curry's (US$ ???) if so desired.
- Single Supplement (if you would like your own room).
- Passport fees, inoculations, and Tourist Entry Visa.
- Gratuities for drivers and any optional excursions.
- Souvenirs, soft drinks, bar beverages, laundry, email, phone, and items of a personal nature.